Thursday, May 24, 2018

embarrassment is fine

This blog reviews images from my waking life that influence the images of my dreams.

This post reviews images from this entry in my dream journal maboroshi no yume.

Last night I watched the movie Drop Dead Fred. Here's the trailer for the film.


I remember liking Drop Dead Fred as a kid. But I didn't watch it very often, and I'm not sure why. Anyway, there are a couple images from the movie that I think influenced my dream.

In my first dream, I'm jogging up a hill, and apparently teaching people about running. But a guy pushing or carrying a baby beats me.

I think that image was inspired by this image from Drop Dead Fred where Elizabeth is out speedwalking with Janie.


This scene actually made me think of another 1980s/90s film where -- I think -- Tom Hanks is on some rooftop track, walking along as an overweight man (maybe John Candy?) is jogging. But I can't remember the film.

Anyway, yesterday, as I remembered this image, I started imagining this overweight man's inner life, for some weird reason. I imagined him having this fantasy where he eventually loses weight and beats Tom Hanks at running. But I also then imagined him feeling defeated and depressed because he also felt he'd never be able to achieve that.

This was probably a weird imagination to have. But I think it connects well with my own feelings of inferiority.

In the third dream, I'm flying through a landscape that's entirely made of human-sized "fun size" candy packages. At the top of a hill is a white doorway standing all on its own. I'm pretty sure this image comes from the part in Drop Dead Fred where Elizabeth and Fred walk through a doorway with no wall.


I also just remembered that in my second dream, I kind of make a fool of myself while teaching people (again) about making sales calls. After I make a fool of myself I start imagining something like a chakra diagram, except that the chakras are replaced by phone-related imagery.

In Drop Dead Fred, the Janie character, while being a very businesslike and practical executive, is also very New Agey. And there's a pretty hilarious scene where she embarrasses herself in front of all the other executives. I think this is what inspired the embarrassment and chakra diagram of the second dream.


My first and second dreams were very interesting because of this weird storyline, so to speak, where I was supposed to be teaching people how to do things and instead I made myself look completely incompetent at the tasks.

I think that's a pretty good statement about how I've felt in my professional and social life recently. People pay attention to things I do. But I feel like I'm doing a terrible job. I should be able to tell myself not to worry about things. I don't think anybody else is too worried. But my dreams seem to deal more with the anxiety side than the relaxation side. So there's obviously something I need to work through.

The only other imagery I can think of that inspired last night's dream is all the stuff that's been happening with the NFL recently. It sounds like the NFL decided over the past couple days to fine any football team whose players kneel during the national anthem.

This news must have resonated with me more than I thought yesterday, because I obviously imagined myself flying over this mountain landscape which I also thought of as having dimensional characteristics like those of a football stadium.

I don't know what inspired the imagery of this landscape being entirely made out of gigantic "fun size" candy packages, or how that relates to all of the NFL controversy. But I think there is a relation there.

So those are the inspirations I've seen on the imagery from last night's dreams. But I honestly can't make many analytical connections from it all this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment