Thursday, May 17, 2018

zombie fire

This blog reviews images from my waking life that influence the images of my dreams.

Today's post reviews images from this entry in my dream journal maboroshi no yume.

I had a lot of stuff to do today so couldn't really address my dream images in depth. That's probably better, as I think smaller entries are nicer than longer, ranting entries.

One big influence on my first dream is this YouTube review of Star Wars DroidWorks by Lazy Game Reviews.


A lot of the desert settings from this game play into my dream. The desert tunnels also probably inspire the strange, large desert buildings of my dream. Strangely, the desert buildings in my dream are supposed to be industrial outskirts of a large desert city. So they're supposed to be industrial buildings, I'm pretty sure. But they're more like ancient palaces or alien sci-fi buildings of some kind. Weird.

I feel like my view of the strange desert building from which the young girl makes her zombie announcement also comes from Raphael's painting of The Fire in the Borgo. The image below is from the Wikipedia entry on the painting.


I had been studying the painting last night. The picture on Wikipedia is better than the picture in the book that I was studying from. But even still, it's a strange painting. The fire itself is barely in the picture. And so much of the drama in the story is so spatially balanced that, for me, anyway, it's hard to feel any drama. I think all of this dramatic strangeness filtered into my first dream. But the space of Raphael's painting influence the space of the strange desert building,  as well.

The girl's announcement that she's a zombie reminds me a lot of an amateur fetish novel I wrote three years ago called Hallowgiving. In that novel, most of the characters become zombies and vampires. The zombies and vampires have a final showdown, which is filmed via drones by news stations. Here's a link to that story.

I think back to my story Hallowgiving a lot, as I feel like, in an allegorical sense, a lot of the stuff I described in that story is happening today.

Other than that, I was walking around my hometown of Denver yesterday. I walked through a kind of industrial area that is being developed more and more and is becoming a sort of fashionable neighborhood. It wasn't too long ago that the whole area felt like a desert. So I think my memory of the place came back in my dream, in a sort of strange way.

I think that the first dream also has a lot to do with the recent events in Israel and Palestine, which are extremely distressing, to say the least. I would probably imagine that the blonde girl in my dream is inspired by Ivanka Trump. Images below are from Business Insider.

No comments:

Post a Comment